Key differences between Roomba 650 vs 690 vs 770:
In this article, we will help you decide among the three top robot vacuum cleaners that are the talk of the market right now. Even though these vacuum cleaners are constructed by the same companies, they still have a number of differences.
- Cleaning Process. The major difference you ought to be looking out for is in their cleaning capabilities. The cleaning system installed in the robots is the same except the algorithm added to the 690 version is better at identifying dirt and debris around the room.
The iRobot 650 features an Aerovac Series I cleaning head, which is accompanied by matching filters by Aerovac. On the other hand, 770 option features an Aerovac Series II with HEPA filters instead.
The Dirt Detect Series II system on Roomba 770 is an upgraded version of the one on the 650. The Series II is fitted with optical sensors and the Persistent Pass Cleaning Method in addition to the acoustic sensors on the Series I.
The traditional 3-stage cleaning algorithm is employed in both the vacuums. The steps of the cleaning process are:
- Loosening up and agitating the dirt with brushes.
- Lifting the dirt and debris from the ground with different rotating patterns of the brush.
- Suction activation on the brushes to such the dirt inside.
Another important cleaning feature added to these vacuums is the transition to different floor types. It detects if the floor type changes and adjusts itself and the cleaning method accordingly. These vacuums are compatible with all kinds of floor types including linoleum.
- Program and software. The basics of the vacuums are the same, the company has not changed the program and they just added a few more things to new versions. The cleaning schedule program in these models is the same but it is easier in Roomba 690 as it can be easily scheduled over the Wi-Fi using your phone. Since the 690 model has Wi-Fi added to it and it is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google home, you can even use it when you are not home and want to come back to a clean and tidy house.
The vacuums use the iAdapt technology and have the virtual wall technology except that the 690 model has a dual mode virtual wall technology. This technology lets you ban the vacuum from entering a room or area you don’t want it to enter.
- Design. The construction of the vacuums is somewhat similar. The main difference lies in the dimensions and the type of battery used. Apart from these, the construction features of vacs are almost the same. Let’s start with the dimensions. iRobot 650 is the smaller of the two measuring 13.4 x 3.6 x 13.4 and 690 model measures 13.0 x 3.7 x 13.0. On the other hand, iRobot 770 measures 13.9 x 3.4 x 13.9.
The latter is, as such, heavier with a weight of 13.2 pounds while the former weighs only 11.7 pounds and the 690 model weights only 7.8 pounds. The button designs are also different with the exception of the central CLEAN button. On the 650, that button is enclosed at the center by the SPOT and DOCK buttons.
Above the spot button, you’ll find the DAY, HOUR, and MINUTE buttons. Below the dock button, you’ll find he SCHEDULE and CLOCK buttons. The 770 device features just four LED buttons below the clean button: dock, clock, schedule, and spot.
- Battery. The Roomba 650 has a NiCad battery that required 3 hours charging with a run time of 60 minutes while the 690 version has a Lithium-Ion battery which has a lesser charging time with the same runtime. Since 690 version has more features and Wi-Fi for setting up, which also uses up the battery, this runtime with all the features is available at the lowest price.
|iRobot Roomba Model||Roomba 650||Roomba 690||Roomba 770|
|Dimensions||13.4 x 3.62||13.0 x 3.7||13.9 x 3.4|
|Battery Life||60 minutes.||60 minutes.||80 minutes.|
|Accessories||Extra filter, owner’s manual.||Extra filter, owner’s manual, flat cleaning tool.||Extra filter, owner’s manual.|
|Noise||61 dB||68 dB||68 dB|
|Problems||Shows different errors like dirty sensors, battery connections, etc.||Dirty Bumpers, Clogged Brushes, Dirty Wheels and more related errors.||Makes a lot of noise|
Roomba 650 review
This is one of the most popular robot vacuums out of 600 series created by Roomba, mostly because it has a low price, good for cleaning carpets, removing pets hairs, or removing dust from tassels of the curtain, and its’ maintenance is very easy. Some more specifications are mentioned further.
The system added to this vacuum cleaner is known as an iAdapt technology, which is basically a combination of software and different sensors to employ the cleaning algorithm. It also is easy to set up.
The best part of the cleaning process is that it imitates the way humans normally clean, at first it rubs the spot to loosen up the debris then picks it up. It is even great for the carpet fringe or rug fringe cleaning.
The cleaning technology used is called AeroVac, which is used in all the Roomba products after Roomba 650. It also has a virtual wall sensor added which helps in setting a barrier that the vacuum will not cross.
Moreover, it has a floor detection sensor that helps the vacuum in adjusting itself according to the change in floor type. Plus, the self-docking function is quite impressive.
Roomba 690 review
This is an upgraded Roomba vacuum cleaner with a number of added features that can make your rug cleaning a lot easier. It has all the features of Roomba 650 but as a cherry on top, it has sensors added to it.
The first and the best feature is that it can be connected to the Wi-Fi and can be controlled via the app. This way all the task and operations become easy. Assigning the cleaning schedule is also easier from the app as compared to using the buttons on the vacuum.
Moreover, due to its Wi-Fi connectivity, it can be a connection to Amazon Alexa and Google home as well. So, you can remotely access your vacuum cleaner as well.
The second feature that makes this vacuum worth the buy is its automatic charging abilities. After every cleaning process, you don’t have to charge the vacuum again. It charges its work and tells you via the app that its charging is done so that you can give further instructions.
Apart from this, the area of extent of 690 model is more than its predecessors and its cleaning algorithm is also more efficient with its dust sensor that can detect and remove dust even from the fringe. It upgrades your cleaning standards.
Roomba 770 Review
Roomba 770 sports an upgraded version of the 3-Stage Cleaning Process – the Series II. iRobot made this one more efficient. It is able to pick scoop up as much as 98% of dirt, fur, or debris. Series II adds optical sensors to the acoustic ones in Series I in order to achieve this.
This device is equipped with Dual HEPA Filters, which clean the air by trapping harmful suspended particles like allergens. The result is a less polluted home, car, or office.
iRobot’s persistent pass system is built into the Dirt Detect Series on the 770. This system, coupled with both the acoustic and optical sensors means it mimics user-controlled cleaning. This creates a more thorough cleaning pattern with emphasis on the areas having the most dirt.
The Robot 770 utilizes a similar iAdapt Responsive Cleaning Technology as the 650 one. That means it knows not to get into contact with cords and similar obstacles. It works in essentially the same manner. Aside from that, it has two virtual walls and an identical 7-day On-Board Scheduling.
As if smart floor cleaners aren’t convenient enough, the iRobot Roomba 770 comes with a remote. You can turn it on without having to get to the dock.
It is common knowledge that as far as robotic vacuum cleaning technology goes it doesn’t get much better than iRobot’s Roomba. These three models beat a lot of smart floor cleaners of comparable specifications. The former sells for a price of around $270 while the latter sells for a price of $370.
These models are among the lowest prices you can get online. Any decision regarding iRobot models must factor in the price.
Does the 770 model worth $100 more than the 650? One thing is for certain, you will be getting a more thorough cleaning pattern and smarter device if you go for the 770. Our verdict is that makes it worth the price.
Whatever you decide, make sure you’re getting the best price available for each smart floor cleaner.