Fancy a device that’ll guarantee an increase in energy savings—not consumption. Pick either one and you might just save yourself a few dollars. That means purchasing fancy electrical home appliances doesn’t have to mean a hike in your utility bill.
For this reason, the competition is on: Ecobee 3 vs Net. While both thermostats ensure the benefits mentioned above, the Ecobee3 takes the lead.
Here’s why: You’ll save energy by up to 23% annually compared to the Nest which saves an average of 15 % on cooling bills and 12 % on heating bills. Below we’ll compare and discuss more of their features & differences in detail below.
Compare Nest Thermostat vs Ecobee3
|Smart Thermostat Model||Nest||Ecobee3|
|Product Dimensions||3.3” x 3.3” x 1.2”||4” x 4” x 0.9”|
|Unique Features||Far sight||Remote sensors|
|Energy Saving||Auto schedule|
Home & away
|Smart home & away|
|Warranty||2 years||3 years|
Key Differences & Comparison between Ecobee3 and Nest
- Energy saving mechanisms. As mentioned earlier the whole point of these gadgets is to save energy right? With that said the Nest has an impressive ability to learn your schedule via your mobile phone & GPS. When you’re not home it reduces temperatures and adjusts to your preferred temperature when it tracks that you’re on your way home. On the other hand, the Ecobee3 saves energy via remote sensors. These not only determine the temperature of your home but also whether there’s anyone home. Based on this data it adjusts temperatures accordingly.
- Unique features. The Nest has a unique feature called Farsight. It lights up to show you time, weather or temperature as soon as it spots you in the room. The Ecobee3 doesn’t have this ability.
- Money back. According to some customers reviews, with the energy savings it’ll take you a year to recover the amount you spent on the Ecobee3. With the Nest, it’ll take you slightly longer—approximately two years.
- Installation. Ease of installation has to be among the top factors to consider don’t you agree? Because the Nest is a 3rd generation model it’s easier to install than the Ecobee3. It’ll take you just a couple of minutes. Installing the Ecobee3 is not as easy. You can expect to spend an average of 30 minutes—even after reading the instruction manual because this document is simple to understand.
- Design. How the thermostat looks is worth considering right? Will it blend in with your home decor? In terms of aesthetics, though they both feature eye-catching designs, the Ecobee3 is slightly more attractive. Also, it has more features than the Nest for diverse applications.
- Dimensions. The Nest is more compact compared to the Ecobee3.The Ecobee3 is both 4” in height& width. This means you’ll have a hard time fitting it into smaller spaces, which is easy with the Nest. You might want to measure the space you have in mind before committing to a specific thermostat to avoid disappointment and installation frustration.
- Compatibility. Both thermostats can be integrated with various gadgets to enhance performance. However, the difference is the Nest isn’t compatible with iOS devices while the Ecobee3 has both iOS and Android compatibility. Also, the Nest can be integrated with online platforms including Amazon Alexa.
- Reports. The Nest Learning Thermostat allows you to view your energy history in the Nest App. This indicates the energy you have used and how. The Ecobee3 doesn’t have this ability.
- Screen. The Ecobee3 has a touchscreen interface so you can use it like a smartphone. The Nest 3rd gen, however, has a digital interface. This screen makes it very easy to read and adjust temperatures according to preference.
- Warranty. In terms of the warranty, the Ecobee3 has a three-year limited warranty whereas the Nest has a two year one.
- Sensors. The Ecobee3 comes with external sensors. So, if you have a larger house you can place it in another room. This isn’t the case with the Nest.
- Color. With the Nest you have four different colors to pick from while the Ecobee3 features a classic black. This means the chances of finding a thermostat that blends with your decor is increased with the Nest.
Nest Learning Thermostat (T3007ES)
Ecobee 3 or Nest- Our Verdict
Our favorite of the two home devices has to be the Ecobee3. As mentioned it’s designed to reduce your energy consumption significantly compared to the Nest.
Some of its mechanisms are more advanced than the Nest when it comes to power saving. With the Ecobee as soon as it senses there’s no one at home, it automatically goes into power saving mode. However, with the Nest you have to regularly walk past it so it doesn’t assume there’s no one home.
Also, our favorite between Ecobee3 vs Nest uses cooling and heating capabilities based on the temperatures affecting your house. If there’s a lot of sunlight entering your home, it automatically reduces the temperature.
There you have it: The Ecobee3 has more superior sensing capabilities which in turn ensure optimal temperature…and of course: savings. Which one will you choose between the two? Nothing better than helping your budget while livingn style, right?